About Us

Historical Milestones

Print detailed timeline of Strategic Moments (pdf)

  • 1944 Santa Rosa Chamber of Commerce appoints a blue-ribbon committee to study the medical needs of the City's 18,000 residents.
  • 1945 Present 8.3-acre site obtained and subsequently donated to Sisters by Fred Rosenberg.
  • 1946 City officials cite a modern hospital as City's #1 priority.
  • 1947 Chamber of Commerce invites the Sisters to establish a hospital. Community fund raising begins.
  • 1948 Construction begins for a hospital to be named "Memorial" for WWII victims. The fund raising campaign nets $355,000 from 3,600 donors. Sisters borrow $1,750,000.
  • 1949 Cornerstone for the hospital is laid.
  • 1950 SRMH opens with 90 beds, 12 patients, 93 employees, 70 medical staff, and 10 Sisters. Sister Rita Rudolph is first Administrator.
  • 1953 Sister M. Ligori appointed as Hospital Administrator.
  • 1953 Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals accredits SRMH.
  • 1953 6-bed ICU and a 9-bed PACU added.
  • 1955 The SRMH Auxiliary (the "Rose Ladies") established.
  • 1957 Community campaign begins for construction of new wing to increase capacity from 90 to 150 beds. Community donates $343,000 toward $1.1 million cost. Henry Trione heads fund appeal.
  • 1959 Sister John Joseph (later called Frances Dunn) appointed as Hospital Administrator.
  • 1961 Lucile and Paul B. Kelley Cardiopulmonary Institute constructed on hospital grounds; later donated to SRMH.
  • 1962 East Wing constructed, adding 60 beds, PT, ICU, Recovery, and 6th OR.
  • 1964 Sister Alma Bachand appointed as Administrator.
  • 1965 10 beds added to Pediatric Unit, raising capacity to 22 beds.
  • 1966 Hospital has grown to 168 beds, 15 bassinets, 340 employees, 12 Sisters, 180 doctors and 100 Rose Ladies.
  • 1967 4-bed Coronary Care Unit opens; the first in Sonoma County.
  • 1968 Third floor added to the East Wing bringing total capacity to 219 beds.
  • 1969 Sister Mary Esther appointed as Administrator.
  • 1969 Major earthquake in Santa Rosa; SRMH sustains $500,000, but remains in operation.
  • 1970 Intensive Care Newborn Nursery (ICNN) opens.
  • 1971 Nuclear Medicine department opens.
  • 1972 First Total Hip operation performed north of San Francisco (at SRMH).
  • 1973 New "Emergency Room" opened.
  • 1974 First Corneal Transplant performed at SRMH.
  • 1974 Board of trustees expanded to include lay persons.
  • 1975 Arthur V. Crandall appointed as first lay Administrator.
  • 1975 Equipment campaign kicked off with goal of $1.3 million.
  • 1977 Sonoma County's first Paramedic Base Station established at SRMH.
  • 1978 Parenting & Childhood Education (PACE) Committee established.
  • 1978 Ultrasound added.
  • 1979 Ground breaking for three-phase major expansion to replace 121 beds, ED, and all ancillary and support services. Employee Committee raises $175,000 for new cafeteria.
  • 1980 SRMH acquires 60-bed Santa Rosa General Hospital; St. Rose Alcoholism Recovery Center opens at General Hospital.
  • 1980 City of Santa Rosa issues $29,680,000 in tax-exempt revenue bonds for Phase I of building program (replacement of Central Plant).
  • 1981 First Open Heart Surgery in the County performed at SRMH.
  • 1981 First hospital long-range plan developed.
  • 1982 Computerized Tomography (CT) introduced.
  • 1983 Phase II of building program completed (121 bed and service replacement).
  • 1983 Rohnert Park Healthcare Center opens.
  • 1984 Angiocardiography services introduced.
  • 1985 Phase III of building program (Emergency Department) completed.
  • 1986 George Heidkamp appointed as hospital President.
  • 1986 Kidney Transplant and Organ Procurement services added.
  • 1986 First aeromedical transport to SRMH; helicopter lands on Montgomery Avenue.
  • 1986 Redwood Empire Medical Group (REMGI) formed with support of SRMH.
  • 1987 Dedicated Cardiac Catheterization Lab added.
  • 1988 Mammography Unit added.
  • 1988 Jake Henry appointed as President and CEO.
  • 1988 Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy added.
  • 1989 Cancer Program approved by the American College of Surgeons.
  • 1989 First Laser Angioplasty performed at SRMH.
  • 1990 Mobile Health Clinic and Dental Clinic begin service.
  • 1990 Neurosurgical Stereotactic Biopsy initiated at SRMH.
  • 1990 Jim Houser appointed as President and CEO.
  • 1991 Electrophysiology Lab established.
  • 1993 Home Care Partners formed as a joint venture with Warrack Hospital.
  • 1993 Memorial Hospital Foundation of Santa Rosa, a separate corporation is disestablished; SRMH Foundation, an entity of the Board of Trustees, is formed for fund development.
  • 1994 SRMH designated as a "Community Clinical Oncology Program" (CCOP) by the National Cancer Institute, one of only 50 such sites in the nation.
  • 1994 Construction of a 50,000 square foot Medical Center Plaza completed.
  • 1994 Construction of employee parking garage completed.
  • 1994 Community Benefit program begins.
  • 1994 "Growing Together" pre-natal education begins.
  • 1995 Elsie Allen High School-Based Health Clinic opens.
  • 1995 Radiation Therapy Pavilion in the Cancer Center opens with major gifts of $1 million.
  • 1996 Robert Fish appointed as President & CEO.
  • 1996 Southwest Community Center opens; later to be gifted to the community.
  • 1996 "House Calls" program of home visits to frail elderly begins.
  • 1996 Subacute Unit opens at SRMH.
  • 1996 SRMH leases the General Hospital property to Catholic Charities for $1/year to operate the Family Support Center homeless shelter.
  • 1997 SJHS begins long-term contract to manage Petaluma Valley Hospital.
  • 1997 SJHS affiliates with Primary Care Associates and Hillcrest Medical Group.
  • 1997 Memorial Hospice begins in Santa Rosa.
  • 1997 St. Joseph Home Infusion begins.
  • 1997 Radiology services open at the Oakmont Medical Suites.
  • 1998 St. Joseph Health Foundation, a medical service organization (MSO), is established.
  • 1998 St. Joseph Home Care Network established serving Sonoma, Napa, and Humboldt.
  • 1998 SRMH acquires North Coast Health Centers.
  • 1999 David Ameen appointed as President & CEO.
  • 1999 Level II Intensive Care Newborn Nursery established in partnership with UCSF.
  • 1999 SRMH designated as Trauma Center for Sonoma County.
  • 1999 Circle of Sisters, a mentoring program for young girls, begins.
  • 2000 Palliative Care Unit opens at the Sotoyome campus.
  • 2001 Pain Clinic established.
  • 2002 SRMH contracts with Horizon Mental Health Management to manage Psych Services.
  • 2003 SRMH Ambulatory Surgery Center opens.
  • 2004 New Cardiac Cath Lab dedicated.
  • 2004 St. Joseph Urgent Care Center opens at Fulton Campus.
  • 2004 SRMH Emergency Department Registration and Waiting Room expansion completed.
  • 2005 George Pérez appointed President and CEO.
  • 2006 Evert and Norma Person Heart Institute.

Share Your Story

Are you interested in sharing
your experience with us?

Yes I am
Share Your Story