Print detailed timeline of Strategic Moments (pdf)
- 1944 Santa Rosa Chamber of Commerce appoints a blue-ribbon committee to
study the medical needs of the City's 18,000 residents.
- 1945 Present 8.3-acre site obtained and subsequently donated to Sisters
by Fred Rosenberg.
- 1946 City officials cite a modern hospital as City's #1 priority.
- 1947 Chamber of Commerce invites the Sisters to establish a hospital. Community
fund raising begins.
- 1948 Construction begins for a hospital to be named "Memorial"
for WWII victims. The fund raising campaign nets $355,000 from 3,600 donors.
Sisters borrow $1,750,000.
- 1949 Cornerstone for the hospital is laid.
- 1950 SRMH opens with 90 beds, 12 patients, 93 employees, 70 medical staff,
and 10 Sisters. Sister Rita Rudolph is first Administrator.
- 1953 Sister M. Ligori appointed as Hospital Administrator.
- 1953 Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals accredits SRMH.
- 1953 6-bed ICU and a 9-bed PACU added.
- 1955 The SRMH Auxiliary (the "Rose Ladies") established.
- 1957 Community campaign begins for construction of new wing to increase
capacity from 90 to 150 beds. Community donates $343,000 toward $1.1 million
cost. Henry Trione heads fund appeal.
- 1959 Sister John Joseph (later called Frances Dunn) appointed as Hospital
- 1961 Lucile and Paul B. Kelley Cardiopulmonary Institute constructed on
hospital grounds; later donated to SRMH.
- 1962 East Wing constructed, adding 60 beds, PT, ICU, Recovery, and 6th OR.
- 1964 Sister Alma Bachand appointed as Administrator.
- 1965 10 beds added to Pediatric Unit, raising capacity to 22 beds.
- 1966 Hospital has grown to 168 beds, 15 bassinets, 340 employees, 12 Sisters,
180 doctors and 100 Rose Ladies.
- 1967 4-bed Coronary Care Unit opens; the first in Sonoma County.
- 1968 Third floor added to the East Wing bringing total capacity to 219 beds.
- 1969 Sister Mary Esther appointed as Administrator.
- 1969 Major earthquake in Santa Rosa; SRMH sustains $500,000, but remains
- 1970 Intensive Care Newborn Nursery (ICNN) opens.
- 1971 Nuclear Medicine department opens.
- 1972 First Total Hip operation performed north of San Francisco (at SRMH).
- 1973 New "Emergency Room" opened.
- 1974 First Corneal Transplant performed at SRMH.
- 1974 Board of trustees expanded to include lay persons.
- 1975 Arthur V. Crandall appointed as first lay Administrator.
- 1975 Equipment campaign kicked off with goal of $1.3 million.
- 1977 Sonoma County's first Paramedic Base Station established at SRMH.
- 1978 Parenting & Childhood Education (PACE) Committee established.
- 1978 Ultrasound added.
- 1979 Ground breaking for three-phase major expansion to replace 121 beds,
ED, and all ancillary and support services. Employee Committee raises
$175,000 for new cafeteria.
- 1980 SRMH acquires 60-bed Santa Rosa General Hospital; St. Rose Alcoholism
Recovery Center opens at General Hospital.
- 1980 City of Santa Rosa issues $29,680,000 in tax-exempt revenue bonds
for Phase I of building program (replacement of Central Plant).
- 1981 First Open Heart Surgery in the County performed at SRMH.
- 1981 First hospital long-range plan developed.
- 1982 Computerized Tomography (CT) introduced.
- 1983 Phase II of building program completed (121 bed and service replacement).
- 1983 Rohnert Park Healthcare Center opens.
- 1984 Angiocardiography services introduced.
- 1985 Phase III of building program (Emergency Department) completed.
- 1986 George Heidkamp appointed as hospital President.
- 1986 Kidney Transplant and Organ Procurement services added.
- 1986 First aeromedical transport to SRMH; helicopter lands on Montgomery Avenue.
- 1986 Redwood Empire Medical Group (REMGI) formed with support of SRMH.
- 1987 Dedicated Cardiac Catheterization Lab added.
- 1988 Mammography Unit added.
- 1988 Jake Henry appointed as President and CEO.
- 1988 Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy added.
- 1989 Cancer Program approved by the American College of Surgeons.
- 1989 First Laser Angioplasty performed at SRMH.
- 1990 Mobile Health Clinic and Dental Clinic begin service.
- 1990 Neurosurgical Stereotactic Biopsy initiated at SRMH.
- 1990 Jim Houser appointed as President and CEO.
- 1991 Electrophysiology Lab established.
- 1993 Home Care Partners formed as a joint venture with Warrack Hospital.
- 1993 Memorial Hospital Foundation of Santa Rosa, a separate corporation
is disestablished; SRMH Foundation, an entity of the Board of Trustees,
is formed for fund development.
- 1994 SRMH designated as a "Community Clinical Oncology Program"
(CCOP) by the National Cancer Institute, one of only 50 such sites in
- 1994 Construction of a 50,000 square foot Medical Center Plaza completed.
- 1994 Construction of employee parking garage completed.
- 1994 Community Benefit program begins.
- 1994 "Growing Together" pre-natal education begins.
- 1995 Elsie Allen High School-Based Health Clinic opens.
- 1995 Radiation Therapy Pavilion in the Cancer Center opens with major gifts
of $1 million.
- 1996 Robert Fish appointed as President & CEO.
- 1996 Southwest Community Center opens; later to be gifted to the community.
- 1996 "House Calls" program of home visits to frail elderly begins.
- 1996 Subacute Unit opens at SRMH.
- 1996 SRMH leases the General Hospital property to Catholic Charities for
$1/year to operate the Family Support Center homeless shelter.
- 1997 SJHS begins long-term contract to manage Petaluma Valley Hospital.
- 1997 SJHS affiliates with Primary Care Associates and Hillcrest Medical Group.
- 1997 Memorial Hospice begins in Santa Rosa.
- 1997 St. Joseph Home Infusion begins.
- 1997 Radiology services open at the Oakmont Medical Suites.
- 1998 St. Joseph Health Foundation, a medical service organization (MSO),
- 1998 St. Joseph Home Care Network established serving Sonoma, Napa, and Humboldt.
- 1998 SRMH acquires North Coast Health Centers.
- 1999 David Ameen appointed as President & CEO.
- 1999 Level II Intensive Care Newborn Nursery established in partnership
- 1999 SRMH designated as Trauma Center for Sonoma County.
- 1999 Circle of Sisters, a mentoring program for young girls, begins.
- 2000 Palliative Care Unit opens at the Sotoyome campus.
- 2001 Pain Clinic established.
- 2002 SRMH contracts with Horizon Mental Health Management to manage Psych Services.
- 2003 SRMH Ambulatory Surgery Center opens.
- 2004 New Cardiac Cath Lab dedicated.
- 2004 St. Joseph Urgent Care Center opens at Fulton Campus.
- 2004 SRMH Emergency Department Registration and Waiting Room expansion
- 2005 George Pérez appointed President and CEO.
- 2006 Evert and Norma Person Heart Institute.